Monday, May 23, 2011

Sustainable Snippets

Well, I would normally say I hope you have a great weekend, but today I'm hoping you had a great weekend! Dave had some time off last week (the spring semester and graduation have ended, and today marks the beginning of summer sessions), so I put client work aside for a few days and we took a mini-staycation with the kids. We had planned to rent a place in Lake George, NY, but the weatherman predicted rain all week, so we decided to just vacation at home and take day-trips around the area. We visited two of our favorite towns in the Hudson Valley (Rhinebeck and Red Hook (we get our coffee from a great local roaster there)) and also headed East to Stockbridge, MA. The rest of the weekend was devoted to yardwork and movies and bocce. Here are a few pictures from our excursions.

We bought Edith this bucket for playing outside - she insisted on wearing it as a hat

Eric the loafer



Dave likes Kamakazis on the rocks, while I opted for a Gin Buck

Bocce! (The grass was a wee bit high)

Sunset during bocce

Our "tournament" audience

Now, on to Sustainable Snippets! Hope you enjoy your week.

Good thing I grow my own tomatoes! Seven supermarket foods to avoid

How do you do your laundry? Here are some nifty green products to try

It's official! Lemon eucalyptus oil is an effected bug repellent

Behold: The $18 lightbulb

New way to recycle bottle caps

Cool! "Old" professions that are making a comeback

All a marketing ploy? Guess so, according to this NYT article on food health benefits

How to eat fish sustainably (listen to this while cooking dinner tonight!)

Lifehacker? Interesting

Obama and agriculture farm subsidies.

Prison Food vs. School Food

HFCS - bad for your body, good for SNL skits

A very cool infographic on buying local (also, I am thinking will all the infographics popping up, people don't actually read anymore)

Those who know me know I love a good Pimm's Cup. Too bad I hate Jell-o

Again, with the British wine

Something I've been thinking a lot about is if "organic" really means better? Seems not always when it comes to eggs (check out this awesome scorecard!)

Need to recycle? There's an app for that

Young'uns in the world of food

My bud Christine is now blogging for FromScratchClub! Way to represent those urbanites and non-mommies, C

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Hope you enjoyed your stay-cation! :)

Have a wonderful week!

Christine said...

You've got some cute kids there.

And FYI, we just made a tortellini salad and used your sweet and sour dressing... SO GOOD.

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Lynn, it was so fun. We rarely put work down like that and just spend "pure" family-time together. It was amazing. I hope YOU have a wonderful week, too!

Christine - Thanks! They are something. The return policy is up so I guess I'll keep them :) Also, that salad sounds DELICIOUS! Can you elaborate? I want to try it!

Thanks for stopping in, ladies!

Prippy Handbook said...

Wonderful post... love the bucket hat!

I definitely owe you an email, but so much fun to catch up on your weekend with this post.

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Can't wait to hear from you Tara! I know you are swamped, good luck with everything you have going on.