Sunday, May 15, 2011

Why I Love Living on Silly Goose Farm: Reason 3

Emerald green glass juice/water bottle with black metal lid
Vintage green juice jars, via Etsy shop ModelVintage

1 Gallon Clear Glass Jug
Clear gallon and 1/2 gallon growlers
 
I love living at Silly Goose Farm because we have amazing neighbors. Our neighbor. Mr. Dykeman, sold me about 30 gallon and half-gallon glass growlers (at 50 cents a piece!) from his barn sale this weekend, as well as about 10 of the vintage green juice jars featured above (with original caps!). These growlers are perfect for cider-making this fall. I told Mr. Dykeman I was looking to explore homebrewing, and he said he used to make gallons and gallons of beer and wine "back in the day," and offered to teach me all I needed to know and use all of his equipment (bonus! I won't have to invest much money!). He also said that a lot of the area around our house was prime hop-growing property, and I'd probably be able to grow my own hops easily. Awesome! I can't wait to experience the tutelage of Mr. Dykeman, and am so grateful we have kind and generous neighbors like him.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

How amazing!! I love chatting with people who have lived in an area for a long time and who have been around longer than me. It's amazing the things you can learn from people around you. Good luck with your adventures.

Christine said...

So awesome. I'm excited.

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Lynn - we are lucky we have neighbors with history in the area. I love learning all sorts of tid-bits from them! Thanks for the well-wishes (PS- can you send me a link to your blog? The comment got deleted with Blogger's failure last week, and I want to read it!!).

Christine - you are coming out to help, right? RIGHT?! :-)

Patty said...

I came across your farm website after reading a marketing post you had on the Times Union. I was flipping through some of your pictures thinking, wow your farm looks really familiar. Then I saw your post about the bottles you bought from my dad. I wasn't there Saturday but he had mentioned a neighbor was getting into homebrewing. He is defiantly a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the local area and loves sharing it. Goodluck on the cider and home brew.

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Patty! That is so funny! Sorry I missed you, your dad is such a nice guy. Someone at the tag sale (your mother, maybe?) gave my daughter a little beaded bracelet with a heart on it, and she absolutely loves it! She shows it off to everyone she meets (she's two). Stop by the farm anytime! We'd love to have you.

Patty said...

Thanks. Yup, that was my mom. Glad to hear your daughter loves the bracelet. :)