Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Farmers' Museum

Edith, Eric and I just came back from the Farmers' Museum in Cooperstown, NY. I had been to the museum twice before as a kid, but this time might have been my favorite (based on how much the kids liked it). We met up with my mom, and had planned on having lunch afterwards, but the kids were a little too tired for that.

Right away, we took a ride on the Carousel. This is the first time Edie has been on a Carousel without screaming. Eric seemed to enjoy it, too!



 

Then we went to visit some of the animals. A pair of young oxen (named Bix and Bright) were first on the list.


The Farmers' Museum is a replica of a 19th century historic village. We poked our heads into some of the buildings



Chickens roamed about as they pleased (I think these were a Plymouth Rock breed these cluckers are Barred Rock chickens).


Hops! I really want to grow some next year.



Newly-dyed yarn was left to dry.



We all had fun watching the sheep. Edie and Eric laughed at the lambs crawling into the hay trough.


Edie can waddle...


... And has yellow feet...


... Just like a duck.


We watched a draft horse get hitched to a wagon, then took a ride!




The Apothecary had an herb/medicinal garden. I'm so jealous!



On our way out, Edie insisted on showing Eric how to drive the baby oxen...


... But he wasn't very impressed.

"You've got to be kidding me."

I picked up a lot of great ideas from the Farmers' Museum to use here on our fledgling farm. My mom's family actually employed a lot of similar farming methods growing up (she and her siblings would hook-up a pair of work ponies to a wagon and ride into town to buy provisions from the General Store and hang with their friends!), and it was fun to hear her teach my kids about some of the things at the Museum. I highly recommend a visit if you ever have the chance!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Sounds like a really great day where everyone had fun! The last picture of your little one is priceless :)

Charlene said...

The yellow boots are killing me. And your babies look exactly like you.

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Thanks for the sweet comments, ladies! The kids are alright (except for that whole Terrible Two thing :-) Eric is always furling his eyebrows, just like a little man. And purses his lips. It makes me think he's trying to do a Mick Jagger impression!